Here we go.

28 March 2011

Baby pay no rent cuz yuzza yuzza spent!

Friday night, we drove down to Hot Springs to hear Surf City perform @ Valley of the Vapors.  They were SO GOOD that when we returned home that night, I checked to see where they were playing next.  Memphis.  Perfect.  Despite my being completely exhausted and already have spent my paycheck allowance, we convinced ourselves that it would not only be totally bitchin' to go see them play again, but that this is a BRILLIANT idea and "I'm young!" and "What Я consequences?"

We called Zach and Matt to see if they wanted to join us. Yes.  Then the lot of us piled into the Hyundai and we drove to Memphis.  It felt good to be on the road, still tired from the previous night.  I was (am) still dizzy from illness and medication and I didn't care!  Because, man, I need to live, right?!

Surf City are excellent live.  Well, specifically, their sound is really good live.  They aren't showmen and they had nothing to say, which is fine, I appreciate those who don't have to say something always.  I really enjoyed them in Hot Springs, but they came off as real sour grapes in Memphis.  Reasons unknown, but they were not keen on the Memphis crowd [as a Little Rocker, this is understandable], which stings because, hey, we were front and center.  They did bang out another good set and that was that.  We tried chatting up one of the guitarists and he was polite, but a kind of emptiness came over me.  And then I was annoyed.  Because the band after them, Bare Wires, totally spanked them with their California funness.  I just don't know what to do about bands that are great, but are slightly vampiric and have Kiwi accents.

In Hot Springs:
Photobucket
In Memphis:
Photobucket
Is this even the same band?


If you get a chance to see Surf City, do it, it is worth it, just don't expect to be charmed.  If you get a chance to see Bare Wires, do!  They are one helluva three-piece and they caught me off-guard and helped me feel not so crazy for driving to Memphis to watch a band I really like be total babies.

I mean, I can be totally misjudging them.  It was just one of the fellas, too, that was being an ass.  

-----

Looks like we will be traveling to Cortez, Colorado sooner than later to visit an aunt whom we haven't seen in years and would love to reignite the relationship.  She and my uncle have provided me with some of my best teenage memories by letting me work on their ranch during the summers and I am so sorry that we've lost touch over the years.  I really want ATM to know her and to experience Colorado, so we're going to make the trek.  I want to complain about money woes, but what good would that do?  We will get there.  Watch me squeeze even more blood from a sugar cube.

No comments:

Blog Archive